Citizenship and residence by investment is a fast-growing global phenomenon. As of 2022, more than a third of all countries in the world offered such immigration path. Yet we know little about how such investment programs operate and debates in academia and the wider public are often misinformed by sensationalist cases.
Citizenship and Residence Sales (Cambridge, 2023) offers a multidisciplinary exploration of both citizenship and residence by investment on a global scale with an emphasis on the role of international law as well as EU law in the possible regulation of this phenomenon. The volume demystifies citizenship and residence by investment and takes a critical postcolonial global perspective, addressing key issues in belonging, exclusion, and inequality that define the world today. Join us for a panel discussion that will explore these topics and more, followed by a reception.
- Luuk van der Baaren, University of Copenhagen
- Sarah Ganty, Yale Law School and Ghent University
- Dimitry V. Kochenov, Central European University Democracy Institute (Budapest) and Central European University Department of Legal Studies (Vienna)
- Hans Ulrich Jessurun d'Oliveira, European University Institute and University of Amsterdam (Professor Emeritus)
- Suryapratim Roy, Trinity College, Dublin
- Justine Stefanelli (moderator), American Society of International Law
Date and Location
This event is free and open to all, but advance registration is required.
Questions about registering? Please contact the ASIL Service Center at email@example.com or (+1) 202-939-6001.
COVID-19 Protocols: Attendees will need to register in advance and attest to their vaccination status (fully vaccinated with booster, if eligible). Proof of vaccination and ID will be checked at the door. ASIL will follow local health regulations on masking requirements, but given current case numbers, masking is encouraged unless actively eating or drinking. No walk-ins will be permitted. If you are experiencing COVID symptoms, please do not attend in-person events.