The Society's 2014 Midyear Meeting, November 6-8, in Chicago, IL, will feature:
Among the Research Forum's 24 sessions:
- Diane Wood, chief judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, in a discussion of international law in U.S. courts
- a keynote address on "The Individualization of International Law" by former U.S. State Department Director of Policy Planning and current New America Foundation President Anne-Marie Slaughter (stand-alone tickets may be purchased for this event)
- a discussion of "International Law in U.S. Courts" including U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeals Chief Judge Diane Wood
- a plenary panel with American Branch of International Law Association President Ruth Wedgwood on the Malaysia Airlines disaster over Ukraine (stand-alone tickets may be purchased for this event), and
- the annual Research Forum for the presentation and discussion of 70 cutting-edge works-in-progress
- International Law and the Reshaping of the American Constitution
- The Changing Practice of Investment Arbitration
- Evolving Practices of Prosecuting Atrocities
- African Legal Practices and International Courts: Tensions and Prospects
- How We Teach and Discuss International Law
- Legitimacy and Authority of World Trade Organization Dispute Settlement
- Unilateral Acts Affecting Respect for International Law
The international law career development event will feature a "speed mentoring" program for students and new professionals interested in learning more about the wide variety of careers possible in the practice of international law. Professionals from private practice, government and international organizations, academia, and non-governmental organizations will be on hand to provide personal insight to attendees in a small group setting.
The Research Forum, a Society initiative introduced in 2011, aims to provide a setting for the presentation and focused discussion of works-in-progress.
Attendees will be able to book rooms at a discounted rate at The Whitehall Hotel Chicago (105 E. Delaware Place).
Registration for the Midyear Meeting and Research Forum is now open. See the link above. All ASIL members are invited to attend the Midyear Meeting and Forum, whether presenting a paper or not.
Karen Alter, Northwestern University
Katerina Linos, ASIL Academic Partner University of California - Berkeley School of Law
2014 Research Forum Co-Chairs
Midyear Meeting Registration
||ASIL Member Rate
||Non-Member Rate (includes ASIL membership)
|*To qualify for reduced rates, attendees are required to provide a valid proof of identification to registration staff at time of check-in.
All prices are in U.S. Dollars (USD)
Additional Meals and Events
|Opening Reception and Plenary Panel: "The Missile that Shot Down Flight MH 17: Whose Legal Responsibility?"
|Dinner and Keynote with Anne-Marie Slaughter, former U.S. State Department director of policy planning and current New America Foundation president, speaking on "State Realism versus Human Realism: The Individualization of International Law"
|Keynote with Anne-Marie Slaughter, former U.S. State Department director of policy planning and current New America Foundation president, speaking on "State Realism versus Human Realism: The Individualization of International Law" (Does NOT include dinner)
ASIL Midyear Meetings and Research Forum Program
Click here to view theprogram for the 2014 ASIL Midyear Meeting and Research Forum.
Questions regarding the program should be directed to the Society's Communications, Education, and Research Assistant, Julia Knox at email@example.com or +1-202-939-6009.
The Society has secured a room block at the Whitehall Hotel, an independent boutique hotel in Chicago's Gold Coast region (105 East Delaware Place, Chicago, IL). Located just a few blocks from Northwestern University Law School, where the Friday and Saturday portions of the Research Forum will be held, the Whitehall Hotel will also be the site of the Friday evening reception for Midyear Meeting attendees.
The Society has negotiated very favorable room rates for attendees of the Midyear Meeting and Research Forum, which are detailed below. To make reservations, contact the Whitehall Hotel in-house reservations department at +1-312-573-6389. Be sure to mention the American Society of International Law when making reservations.
The following room rates are available Thursday, November 6, through Saturday, November 8, 2014, and include a full American breakfast at the hotel restaurant:
Single (King-sized bed): $169.00/night
Double (2 Queen-sized beds): $199.00/night