The International Institutions issue area focuses on the role of international institutions in creating, shaping, promoting, and enforcing international law and standards as well as ongoing efforts to improve their efficiency and effectiveness through institutional reform. Particular attention in this area will be paid to formal international organizations, financial institutions, dispute resolutions mechanisms, and courts and tribunals such as the United Nations, World Trade Organization, World Bank, International Criminal Court, and also to regional bodies and informal mechanisms and networks.
Krista Nadakavukaren Schefer
April 15, 2013
Diego Germán Mejía-Lemos
January 09, 2013
- Copenhagen Process Principles and Guidelines on the Handling of Detainees in International Military Operations By Bruce "Ossie" Oswald and Thomas Winkler, ASIL Insights, December 26, 2012
- The New WHO FCTC Protocol to Eliminate Illicit Trade in Tobacco Products - Challenges Ahead By Jonathan Liberman, ASIL Insights, December 14, 2012
- Legal Implications of the UN General Assembly Vote to Accord Palestine the Status of Observer State By John Cerone, ASIL Insights, December 7, 2012
- Germany v. Italy: The International Court of Justice Affirms Principles of State Immunity By Chimène I. Keitner, ASIL Insights, February 14, 2012.
- P.R.I.M.E. Finance: The Role and Function of the New Arbitral Institution for the Settlement of Financial Disputes in The Hague
By Dr. Eric De Brabandere
ASIL Insights, February 8, 2012
- The UN and the Status of Palestine - Disentangling the Legal Issues
By John Cerone
ASIL Insights, September 13, 2011
- Advisory Opinion of the Seabed Disputes Chamber of International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea on “Responsibilities and Obligations of States Sponsoring Persons and Entities With Respect To Activities in the Area” By David Freestone, ASIL Insights, March 9, 2011
- The ICC Appeals Chamber Judgment on the Legal Characterization of the Facts in Prosecutor v. Lubanga By Amy Senier , ASIL Insights, January 8, 2010.
- Germany Sues Italy at the International Court of Justice on Foreign Sovereign Immunity – Legal Underpinnings and Implications for U.S. Law By Ronald J. Bettauer, ASIL Insights, November 19, 2009.
- The Entering Into Force of the Lisbon Treaty – A European Odyssey By Dr. Nikolaos Lavranos , ASIL Insights, December 14, 2009.
- Issues of International Law Interest before the 64th Session of the United Nations General Assembly By Larry D. Johnson, ASIL Insights, November 4, 2009.
- ICTY Special Chamber Decision In the Case Against Florence Hartmann By Benjamin E. Brockman-Hawe, ASIL Insights, October 9, 2009.
- The UNHCR’S Guidance Note on Refugee Claims Relating to Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity By Nicole LaViolette, ASIL Insights, July 30, 2009.
- Ten Years After the War in Kosovo: International Law, Kosovo and the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia By Linda Strite Murnane, ASIL Insights, June 10, 2009.
- International Legal Responses to Piracy off the Coast of Somalia By Eugene Kontorovich, ASIL Insights, February 6, 2009.
- Global Witness v. Afrimex Ltd.: Decision Applying OECD Guidelines on Corporate Responsibility for Human Rights By Jernej Letnar Cernic, ASIL Insights, January 23, 2009.
- U.S. Policy Toward the International Criminal Court: Furthering Positive Engagement By ASIL Task Force Members William H. Taft (co-chair), Patricia M. Wald (co-chair), Mickey Edwards, Michael A. Newton, Sandra Day O'Connor, Stephen M. Schwebel, David Tolbert, Ruth Wedgwood, and Project Director Laura M. Olson, March 2009.
- The WTO Gambling Dispute: Antigua Mulls Retaliation as the U.S. Negotiates Withdrawal of its GATS Commitments By Simon Lesterm, ASIL Insights, April 8, 2008.
- International Tribunal Spotlight: The World Trade Organization Dispute Settlement System By James Apple, ed., International Judicial Monitor, April 2008.
- The Bali Climate Change Conference By Elizabeth Burleson, ASIL Insights, March 18, 2008.
- ICSID Annulment Committee Rules on the Relationship between Customary and Treaty Exceptions on Necessity in Situations of Financial Crisis By Jürgen T. Kurtz, ASIL Insights, December 20, 2007.
- International Tribunal Spotlight: The Inter-American Court of Human Rights (IACHR) By Andrew Solomon, ed., International Judicial Monitor, October/November 2007.
- The UN General Assembly adopts the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples By Stefania Errico, ASIL Insights, October 9, 2007.
- International Tribunal Spotlight: War Crimes Chamber, Court of Bosnia and Herzegovina By Andrew Solomon, ed., International Judicial Monitor, July/August 2007.
Events, Seminars, Conferences
- The International Criminal Court: Beyond Kampala (Nov 30, 2010)
- A Primer on the Organization for the Harmonization of Business Laws in Africa (O.H.A.D.A) (Oct 13, 2010)
- ASEAN's Evolving Legal and Institutional Framework (May 21, 2008)
- The International Judge: Obstacles and Opportunities on the Path to Global Justice (March 18, 2008)
- The International Court of Justice: The Road Ahead (October 3, 2007)
- The UN and Regional Organizations: Partners for Peace and Security (July 24-August 4, 2007)