The Development & International Law issue area examines the relationship between international law and the development agenda as articulated in the UN Millennium Development Goals. This includes issues such as the role of international law and institutions in eradicating extreme poverty and hunger; achieving universal primary education; promoting gender equality and empowering women; reducing child mortality; improving material child health; combating HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other illnesses; ensuring environmental sustainability; and creating a global partnership for development. The issue area also encompasses the international legal aspects of efforts to curb corruption and promote democracy, good governance, and the rule of law.
- The New WHO FCTC Protocol to Eliminate Illicit Trade in Tobacco Products - Challenges Ahead By Jonathan Liberman, ASIL Insights, December 14, 2012
- Strengthened Protection for Internally Displaced Persons in Africa: The Kampala Convention Comes Into Force By Mike Asplet and Megan Bradley, ASIL Insights, December 7, 2012
- The UN Rio+20 Conference on Sustainable Development-What Happened By Tseming Yang, ASIL Insights, September 5, 2012.
- Germany v. Italy: The International Court of Justice Affirms Principles of State Immunity By Chimène I. Keitner, ASIL Insights, February 14, 2012.
- Germany Sues Italy at the International Court of Justice on Foreign Sovereign Immunity – Legal Underpinnings and Implications for U.S. Law By Ronald J. Bettauer, ASIL Insights, November 19, 2009.
- The Entering Into Force of the Lisbon Treaty – A European Odyssey By Dr. Nikolaos Lavranos , ASIL Insights, December 14, 2009.
- Issues of International Law Interest before the 64th Session of the United Nations General Assembly By Larry D. Johnson, ASIL Insights, November 4, 2009.
- The European Court of Justice Kadi Decision and the Future of UN Counterterrorism Sanctions By Peter Fromuth, ASIL Insights, October 30, 2009.
- Abyei Arbitration – Final Award By John R. Crook, ASIL Insights, September 16, 2009.
- Special Tribunal for Lebanon: The First Orders by the Pre-Trial Judge By Antonios Tzanakopoulos, ASIL Insights, August 7, 2009.
- Honduras: Coup d’Etat in Constitutional Clothing? By Doug Cassel, ASIL Insights, July 29, 2009.
- Ten Years After the War in Kosovo: International Law, Kosovo and the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia By Linda Strite Murnane, ASIL Insights, June 10, 2009.
- Foreign Officials and Sovereign Immunity in U.S. Courts By Curtis A. Bradley, ASIL Insights, March 17, 2009.
- The Bali Climate Change Conference By Elizabeth Burleson, ASIL Insights, March 18, 2008.
- Canadian-made Drugs for Rwanda: The First Application of the WTO Waiver on Patents and Medicines By Holger P. Hestermeyer, ASIL Insights, December 10, 2007.
- The UN General Assembly adopts the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples By Stephania Errico, ASIL Insights, October 9, 2007.
- Legal Lessons in Disaster Relief from the Tsunami, the Pakistan Earthquake and Hurricane Katrina By Victoria Bannon and David Fisher. ASIL Insights, March 15, 2006.
Curtis A. Bradley
April 18, 2013
Ronald J. Bettauer
March 11, 2013
Events, Seminars, Conferences
- New Voices: Rethinking the Sources of International Law , ASIL 103rd Annual Meeting: International Law as Law (March 26, 2009)
- Is Legal Empowerment Good for the Poor? , ASIL 103rd Annual Meeting: International Law as Law (March 26, 2009)
- Plenary: The United States and International Law During the Obama Administration: Executive and Legislative Perspectives, ASIL 103rd Annual Meeting: International Law as Law (March 26, 2009)
- Changing Concepts of State Sovereignty , ASIL 103rd Annual Meeting: International Law as Law (March 28, 2009)
- The Struggle for Rule of Law in Afghanistan: Lessons from the Field (June 23 2009)
- Constraints on Chinese Lawyers (April 19, 2007)
- Pakistan: The Rule of Law and the Legal Profession in a State of Emergency (December 10, 2007)
- Developing Countries in the WTO Legal System (May 24-26, 2007)
- Promoting the Rule of Law in Post-Conflict Societies: Are International Institutions Getting it Right (June 8, 2006)